Saturday, October 25, 2008

It was a WICKED night!

On Friday night Brett and I had the opportunity to go see "Wicked" at the Pantages Theatre in Hollywood. We have talked about seeing it for a long time now and finally found a great deal on tickets that we couldn't pass up. We went with four other couples from church (three of which the husbands work with Brett). The night started with the drive up there of course. Funny that I have lived in Southern California nearly my whole life and have never seen the Hollywood sign before. Our group all met up for dinner (we had driven two separate cars) at a little restaurant called The Velvet Margarita Cantina. It is just a couple of blocks from the theatre and you honestly have to wonder as you are walking to it if you are in the right place. The big steel door you walk through makes you feel like you are walking into a bar or something. But the atmosphere was so fun.
All the walls are covered in some kind of velvet covering. In this picture you can kind of see the the walks around us are blue velvet.
Brett and I are at the left hand side, following around are Aimee and Jason, Nick and Kim, Tiffany, Stacy, Chris and Matt. The food was yummy too! They start you out with all you can eat chips and dips including beans, salsa, and pico de gallo. Brett ordered a salmon dish and I got the chicken burrito. Only order the burrito if you are absolutely starving and haven't eaten too many chips. It is big!
Following dinner we walked back to the theatre and enjoyed an excellent performance of Wicked. It is the story of the Witches from the Wizard of Oz. Great storyline and message about how you can't judge someone by their actions.
Brett and I snuck in a picture during intermission, which is strictly prohibited I guess. We got in trouble by one of the ushers. (By the way, do you like Brett's new glasses? He got them a couple of weeks ago and I am loving them. I am a little bias though!) But anyway, overall is was a wonderful night with great food, an awesome show, and fantastic company. Maybe we will be able to save up some money to do this again in a couple of years!

8 comments:

The Redford Family said...

I am jealous. I would love to see Wicked. Eric doesn't like broadway...so it would have to be a girls night for me. Looks like it was a great date night!

Greg said...

Hurray! Wicked is the best, glad to see that you got a little more culture from the LA area! Now you just need to get the soundtrack and listen to the music all the time

Ali said...

I remember seeing the camera gestapo catching a few cameras here and there when we went too. :) What a fun night this sounds like. Those glasses are stylish too! Nice new look!

Unknown said...

Love the new glasses, great pick! And I love WICKED!! Austin and I got to see it in LA as well, one of the perks to living so close I guess, and the funny thing is, i live in LA, and I still haven't seen the Hollywood sign!! :) Did you buy the soundtrack cause we did immediately after we saw the show and listened to it the whole way home!

Brooke and Aaron said...

Yes, I love the glasses too. We're glad you had such a fun date night. I'm not really a theater person, so I didn't think I'd like Wicked, but Aaron and I LOVED it! That restaurant looks funny with the weird door and walls but the food looks delicious!

Aimee said...

I love the Velvet Margarita. Thanks for getting the tickets!

tristanandtricia said...

Rachel!!! When I first saw your post I couldn't think of a Rachel I knew with four kids (the picture was REALLY tiny). :) And then when I clicked on it and came to your blog I was SO excited to see it was you! I often wondered about you and Brett and how you were doing and what you were up to. Your kids are adorable! I am way excited to see what you've been up to and keep in touch from now on!
You'll have to tell Brett hi for me, and I would say tell your oldest 2 hi, but I'm pretty positive they have no recollection of "that strange lady." :)

Cami Bruschke said...

What a great date! Craig and I and Ashlyn (Christmas present -SH!) are going to see Wicked in March. I'm so excited!