Wednesday, March 9, 2011

One Project Down. . .

. . .who knows how many to go.  Actually, we are really happy with our house, but you know there are always those projects that are always lingering in the back of your mind that you would like to get done.  This was one of those projects: the sliding shower door in the kids bathroom.
  I mean, it doesn't look horrible, but have you ever tried to clean one of those things?  Impossible.  Or bathe a child while leaning over the edge of the track?  So not fun.  So when we were looking into buying the house, I told Brett that I wanted this to be one of our first projects.  Four months later. . .it was time to clean it once again and I had had enough.  So I decided to go at it myself.  Really, it was easily to get the doors and track off.  I just unscrewed a couple of screws and then slid a paint scraper under the edge. . .
.  . .and voila, the track was off.  But not so much fun to get all of this off. . .
It was gross under that track.  And there was lots of caulking and "glue stuff" underneath that took some major scraping away at.  Like a couple of hours.  But I am sooo glad it is finally gone.  Do I ever use this shower?  No, but it is one project off the list.  And look how much nicer it looks. . .
And it is a billion times easier to clean.
And because a blog post without a picture of the kids is not allowed. . .

12 comments:

Ali said...

Go Rachel! Good for you...That is one thing I told Jeff I REALLY wanted in an apt. -a bath with no doors to bathe Evan. It's painful to lean against and try and fit inbetween the doors. Go you!

Tricia said...

It looks awesome! Encourages me to finally get done some of my projects. :)

Tricia said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tricia said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lindsie said...

I can't stand those doors either. You're so smart to take it off. I have no idea why those were even invented. Good job with your muscle work.

Cami Bruschke said...

Love the 'do it yourself' attitude - sometimes it's the best way. I love the shower curtain - adds so much more color to the bathroom. Looking forward to seeing your house this summer.

Chelle said...

I don't like sliding shower doors either! I'm impressed you tackled it yourself though...I might have started, but then it would have been left with gross stuff forever ;) So..are you going to shar your breadstick recipe from the birthday post? You can't say something is yummy & not share! It was good to see you Saturday.

Brooke and Aaron said...

I agree. It's a huge pain to bathe kids with those doors on there. I love your DIY skills! If your husband can't get to it, you'll find a way to do it. I love that! The bathroom looks so good! Bailey's birthday dinner looked delicious too! You're a Supermom!

Khayyam said...

We tried that project too, but our project ended up being a lot bigger than your project. Count yourself lucky things worked out so beautifully! Congrats.

Nelson Family said...

Awesome Job Rachel! Our house in AZ had a shower door like that and it was a pain to clean. Then again my sister and I were teenagers and we didn't take "baths" so it wasn't a big deal. But I have tried to bathe my little guy in a bathtub like that and it was a MAJOR pain.
Good job! Pat yourself on the back!

Kari said...

I know what you mean about the house projects. They seem never ending. Good job. Miss you.

Kristyn said...

Am I really commenting a month and a half later? This looks awesome Rachel! I definitely would have had my husband do this...so hats off to you!